Yet another brand name and trademark being promoted as a verb in the tagline or signature at the end of each television commercial: "Don’t Just Watch TV. DirecTV."
For more on the subject of trademark verbing and the risk of genericide:
- Just Verb It? A Legal Perspective on Using Brands As Verbs: Part I
- Just Verb It? Part II: A Legal Perspective on Using Brands As Verbs
- Just Verb It? Part III: Testing the "Slippery Slope" of Using Brands as Verbs
- Managing The Legal Risk of "Verbing Up" Brands and Trademarks
- How Realistic is the Risk of Trademark Genericide?
I’m not too worried about the DirecTV brand name and trademark becoming generic and part of the public domain, at least, based on this verbing use, are you?
Moreover, I like it, as suggested, DirecTV is seeking registration of the verbed tagline, here, here, and here.