There aren’t too many things I enjoy more than speaking about the legal implications of branding.
Our friends at BlackCoffee captured a talk I gave to a group of marketing types a while back, on black and white film (thank goodness), and they have graciously posted a 34 minute excerpt, here.
Some of the topics I discussed include:
- Trademark Summary Guide
- Spectrum of Distinctiveness
- When to Search and Clear Proposed Brand Names
- Suggestive and Descriptive Marks
- Staying on the Right Side of the Line
- Avoiding Use of the D-Word
- Scope of Trademark Rights
- Likelihood of Confusion — the Test of Trademark Infringement
- Non-Traditional Trademarks
- Walther P99 and PPK Handgun Configurations
- Functionality as a Bar to Trademark Protection
I’d love to hear any feedback on the talk.
I’d also love to hear from you if you have a group or team that might be interested in having me deliver a talk on trademarks and the legal implications of branding.