If you’re not aware of the origin and the connection to Minnesota, here you go.
Although I haven’t yet noticed evidence of it on the streets or the strip, the famous WHIVSIV slogan is reportedly back from its brief hiatus.
Given all the other places we’ve seen and reported on brandverbing to date, and now that we know it happens in Vegas too, only time will tell if it stays in Vegas:
As you know, we have welcomed the challenge by marketing types to press the edges and not fall into the assumed knee-jerk legal trap when it comes to weighing the true risks of genericide based on the verbing of brands, but if you’re not Google, this recommended reading from our archives — on the subject of trademark verbing and the risk of genericide, is still highly useful:
- Just Verb It? A Legal Perspective on Using Brands As Verbs: Part I
- Just Verb It? Part II: A Legal Perspective on Using Brands As Verbs
- Just Verb It? Part III: Testing the “Slippery Slope” of Using Brands as Verbs
- Managing The Legal Risk of “Verbing Up” Brands and Trademarks
- How Realistic is the Risk of Trademark Genericide?
Who will be the next to jump on the brandverbing bandwagon? How long will the ride last?